Inside the Streets of Cassis, France

12 Nov 2014

When James' co-worker (a lovely French woman, who holidays in the South of France) told him that we "had to visit Cassis," I basically took it as the word of God and penciled it right in! Of the four days we spent exploring the South of France, Cassis is probably the one place that I wish we had spent more time. All in all, we only had about four or five hours in the area, but apparently that was all we needed to fall in love with this charming little coastal village.

Cassis is only located about 20 miles east of Marseille—an easy 30 minute car ride—and when you get there, you are directed to one of the nicest and cleanest parking garages that I've ever seen. The parking garage is located very centrally, so it's only a short walk to the main area with shops, restaurants and the port/harbor.
Once inside, you are greeted with iconic architecture, pastel colors and the winding street that define the South of France. Everywhere you look you see something quintessentially European. You start on a trail of breadcrumbs, and those breadcrumbs lead to you one picturesque location to the next.
I will never tire of meandering around the winding streets in Southern Europe. Regardless of where I am, my past travels are never too far from my mind. The architecture is so recognizable, so breathtaking, that sometimes I forget where I am. Barcelona, Paris, Rome, Provence—I love that feeling of nostalgia.
If I could re-do our holiday, the only thing I would change would be that we would stay in Cassis, rather than Marseille. Cassis is just soooo picturesque, and for us, Marseille was just soooo underwhelming... Granted, at the time of booking we didn't have enough time or knowledge of the area to make those decisions, but eh, you live you learn!
You might be disappointed when I say this, but the really amazing and jaw-dropping views of Cassis are actually just outside of these winding, iconic streets. Yes, they are undoubtedly charming, but trust me when I say—you ain't seen nothing yet!

27 comments

  1. Just dreamy!! If we make it back down to the south of france I am marking this down for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marina @ Garlands in Paris12 November 2014 at 19:01

    I loved Cassis! I went there in December to visit the Domaine du Paternel vineyard. It was snowing in Aix-en-Provence but beautiful in Cassis! Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cassis! I use to go every couple of years when I was younger. It's such a cute town :) Glad to hear you liked it too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! All these pictures, especially the one with the cat in the middle of the street, are winners. Yo necesito go to Cassis ASAP. See, I was speaking French right there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so adorable!! Somehow I've never even heard of Cassis... but it reminds me a lot of Annecy and other old-style French villages. Love the photos with laundry hanging out the windows - so quaint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are so stunning! I love all the colors and Cassis just looks so picturesque :) Definitely penciling it in when I next head to the south of France!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH! I've never heard of that town, but I am putting it on my list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I can live in such a nice village!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to the South of France but am dying to! Cassis looks so lovely. Good tip about Marseille - definitely one to remember when I get my butt out there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, it's beautiful! I wonder how far it is from me?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! It is my favorite French place right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope to go every couple of years NOW! I am obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're hilarious! But seriously, Cassis was such a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had never heard of it either! I have a feeling it is about to get VERYYY popular!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, thank you! You have to go ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Same here, but now I am a lifer! I want to go back so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAHA! You're preaching to the choir, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It really was. Honestly, when it comes to Marseille, I don't want to talk badly about it, but I wouldn't go back because it felt really run-down to me. It was the first time I'd been to a city and felt uneasy... and not completely enamored. You know what I mean??

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't been to Cassis but these photos make me want to! I have been to Marseille and Les Calanques which were both incredible. Did you visit Les Calanques when you were in Cassis?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cassis is beautiful, as are these photos. Wow. Just wow *goes back to look again*

    ReplyDelete
  21. ...It reminds me of Belle(Beauty And The Beast)'s village!!...

    ReplyDelete

© TEAM STARNES. Design: Maira Gall.