Things to Know When Hiking From Imerovigli to Oia

25 Oct 2014
































Things To Know:
Start early. If you're visiting during the summer months, the sun is going to be intense. Do yourself a favor and wake up early to beat the midday sun.
Wear Sunscreen. Duh.
Wear athletic shoes. The terrain gets very steep and rocky at certain points, so you're not going to want to navigate it with Jack Rogers on. 
Wear athletic clothes.  You might not get a #dametraveler moment out of this hike, but that's okay, it's totally worth it—sweat and all. Trust me, you're not going to want to make this trek in a sundress. 
Bring Water. There aren't any (or many) places to stop along the way, so bring a bottle of water, and maybe even a breakfast bar to eat.
Go North. Oia is located a the north tip of the island, so just keep going in the opposite direction of Fira.
Watch for signs. Even though it's pretty self-explanatory, there are a couple forks in the road, so make sure to pay attention to the signs as you go by. Otherwise, you will have to back track... Like we did.
If you end up on the street, you're going in the right direction. At one point, I thought we had gone off path because we were walking on the actual street pavement, but don't worry, you're on the right path. Keep walking, and you will eventually get pointed back on a dirt trail.
This hike was the best 2.5 hours we spent in Santorini... But we were moving fast. Others have told me it took them 3-4 hours. Take your time and go at your own pace.
Check out the side streets. Once in town, pop in and out of the side streets on the left-hand side to get your iconic Oia photograph. *Look out for a jewelry shop/silver jewelry shop/silver jeweler (I can't remember...) to get shots like mine.
Go down into the Bay. Those stairs are daunting, but there are good shots down there!

18 comments

  1. What an amazingly gorgeous place!! I've been to Greece but not to Santorini and this only confirms my need to make it out there ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos are absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greece is so beautiful and wow your pictures have captured it perfectly. What a wonderful place to hike Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every blogger I know is posting about Santorini right now. One of my best girlfriends took her honeymoon here. I know I am missing out and these photos are further proof, but I love it anyway! And can't wait to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! I loved our hikes on the Greek islands, the views were always amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful day you had for this trip. I love how white and clean all the buildings are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was such an amazing holiday! I would definitely suggest it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really was! I so wasn't expecting this hike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. High five to yall for making the hike!! We missed out on it but I'm loving living it through your photos! Ahhhh....take me back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know! It's crazy how certain places get blown up all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I am typically not one for strenuous activity, but all that's about to change in Scotland! eeeek! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was perfect weather, but I'm really glad we woke up early because it got hot towards the end!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know, right?! I mean, you can't just visit Santorini once. We need a time-share!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's perfectly fine with me! I love all the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the great tips-- these are great! (bookmarking!) Since I've last commented here, we have booked 5 nights in Imerovigli for the honeymoon so I think this hike might happen sooner or later! But you have definitely convinced me that some sort of athletic shoe is a must. Not exactly something you think of packing for a fancy Greek vacation but looking at the terrain, I definitely see what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wore my athletic shoes most of the time while I was in Santorini. I certainly didn't intend on wearing sneakers the majority of the time (because I wanted to look cute....), but the walking trails are are pretty loose and rocky... IDK, it's a personal choice.

    ReplyDelete

© TEAM STARNES. Design: Maira Gall.