Exploring the East Coast of Scotland

8 Dec 2014

The weather was nice this past week; barely any rain and plenty of time to explore without the annoyances of rain boots, parka and an umbrella in tow... Since the weather had been holding up, James and I decided to take advantage and make a spur of the moment road trip down the east coast of Scotland.



From Aberdeen, we got on the A90 to Stonehaven and then took the A92 (the more scenic route) down to Montrose. It was a easy drive—only about a 40 mile drive from Aberdeen to Montrose.
hey! lookie, lookie! I finally got in one of these photos! James grabbed the above shot on his cell :)










I'm impressed with how much we saw in such a short amount of time. We left the flat a little after 11:30 AM, and we got back into town just before sundown at 3:30 PM— easy peasy! Considering I get motion sickness when I am in the car for an extended amount of time, it's exciting that I am able to see so many great sights with very little time or distance.



hey babe!

All in all, we passed through five coastal villages: Stonehaven, Inverbervie, Johnshaven, St. Cyrus and Montrose. We got out and briefly explored Johnshaven and Montrose, but the wind was so harsh we couldn't stay long in either... We will definitely be back to explore them individually and more in-depth... I mean, they are so close, how could we not?!





You can see our route below:


#traveltuesday

31 comments

  1. I really want to go to Scotland! So beautiful. Are there hiking trails there? Or is that a bad idea in the cold winds? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I am a big fan of the short trips, love having places near home to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this! Scotland is so beautiful. And the clouds are always so incredible! I loved our short time there and need to go back....can't wait to pick up some good tips from you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scotland looks incredible! Love the landscape

    ReplyDelete
  5. The light in these photos is amazing!! I've never even heard of most of those little villages but they look well worth a visit. Those little seaside towns are one of my favorite things about the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photos! The villages look so charming and I just love the seascapes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! What a perfect way to spend the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So far I am happy here! It's really refreshing to be out in nature so much. There are LOTS of hiking trails, but since I just moved I couldn't tell you exactly which ones. I assume the wind was just really strong and cold because we were literally on the coast, but I would hope it wouldn't be so bad in the woodland areas...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Plus I'm impatient, so yeah, big fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't take much credit for that, but thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah. They're really small and close to one another, but so so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Easy peasy chicken weasy! I think I am really going to enjoy it here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is that sky for real? Holy prettiness! Looking forward to wayyy more Scotland to come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's great! :) That's okay I just wondered, it sort of looked like you were on a trail in some of the pictures. I think it would be fun hiking along the coastline but only if it wasn't too windy and cold, I can't stand cold wind (although it could be a fun adventure) :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is soo pretty!!! I love all of your photos! You are so talented!!!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these photos! Oh my goodness, look at the blueness of everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How divine - we really need to explore Scotland more, get in amongst the Northern natural beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These photos are gorgeous! That sky is just so blue

    ReplyDelete
  19. YUP! We lucked out with some great weather recently!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You do NOT associate blue and Scotland together! LOL! The weather has been good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know! I am excited to get into the woods and hike! That will have to happen after the new year though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you! It was a really beautiful day, freezing, but beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These pictures are amazing!!! And the sun is out!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun drive with beautiful views! I've never been to the East coast so it was really interesting to see what it looks like compared to the West.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't even handle how beautiful Scotland is.

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL! I know, right?! I hope more days like that come my way!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't wait to explore BOTH! All in due time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. yeah... I'm trying to wrap my brain around it too!

    ReplyDelete

© TEAM STARNES. Design: Maira Gall.