Relaxing at the Red Beach in Santorini, Greece

15 Oct 2014

Red Beach is located on the southern tip the island, just about 10 minutes from Akrotiri. There are two ways of accessing the beach—by foot or boat. At the time, I didn't know about the boat option, so James and I drove down, parked at the harbor and then trekked up and down the rocky terrain to get to the red pebbly beach. *The "walk/hike/trek" is totally doable, but at some points it gets steep and slippery, so anyone with balance issues might have trouble getting there and back.
The craziest thing is the rock formations. It just goes to show you how truly unique this island is. Even after 3600+ years, the island is still evolving, still changing, and that is obvious due to the very apparent rock slides that we passed in order to get to our part of the beach.
Since the beach is, literally "off the beaten path," it wasn't too crowded and was a perfect place for us to post up and relax for a while. We decided not to rent an umbrella and chair, (just to get away from the other patrons) but next time I will bring an extra towel for a bit of extra padding! Also, due to the location of the beach, the water is pretty choppy, so I wouldn't suggest swimming unless you are a strong swimmer.
We intended on also hiking to White Beach, but we were disappointed to find out that due to some issue or destruction, the footpath is no longer an option. Boo! So, the only way to get to White Beach is by boat—Dually noted!

6 comments

  1. Red Beach sand was sooo super sticky. I felt like I was muddy haha!! Still, such a super cool sight and totally unique experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an amazing experience! The photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really get in the sandy area... we were more on the pebble-y part, but I know exactly what you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos! My favorite is the one of the padlocked door set into the cliff! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know?! Isn't that awesome! I wonder what's in there..

    ReplyDelete

© TEAM STARNES. Design: Maira Gall.