The Essence of the South of France

7 Nov 2014











J had an opportunity to get away from the office for a few days, so we decided to book a last minute holiday—a 'London-moon', if you will. We considered a couple different places, but the perfect forecast and unusually high temperatures in the South of France solidified our choice.

We had every intention of flying into Nice and exploring Nice and Monaco, but ultimately that was short lived. We ended up shifting our plans west a bit and flying into Marseille, so we could be more central in Provence, and to the attractions that drew me to the South of France in the first place.

What's so special about this particular holiday is the fact that it was so last minute, there was hardly enough time to plan, or stress, or over-analyze it to death. We had an idea of what we wanted to do and we just made spur-of-the-moment decisions along the way. Obviously, this was made easier due to the fact that we rented a car with a GPS, but in all realness, I don't think you can dooo the South of France without one...

Honestly, I don't think I would have the same fondness for the South of France if we didn't have a car. Zipping around the French countryside, or up into the Alps, with the windows down and accordion music playing from the radio—with my person in his element, shifting into fifth gear without a flinch, and looking as-fucking-rad-as-ever in his Ray-Bans—it doesn't get much better than that. I think we both felt something in France that will stick with us for a LONG time.

There's something about France, man.

Surely, there will be more adventures. We're moving to Scotland. We will have a car, the radio, and lots and lots of coast and countryside to explore, but just like fingerprints, no two experiences are the same.

Provence imprinted on us. Those feelings of ease, and contentment, and gratification we felt in France will be nearly impossible to clone. Because it's not just one or two things that transform an experience into a feeling, into an emotion, it's the mindset, the anticipation and the love for the adventure at hand—and for the partner you're sharing it with.



30 comments

  1. These pictures are like, really pretty. (Tell me you know that quote..)


    I love your blurb at the end. Sounds like a very special vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The south of France is amazing....there is definitely a feel there. I'm with you....although we weren't as glamorous on a scooter cruising down the coastline haha!! I am so loving these photos.....esp the one with the kitty in the road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the south of France. I haven't been to Marseilles, but I've spent time in Nice/Cote d'Azur region and man, it's just stunning. I visited as a teenager but man, your photos take me right back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved following these photos on instagram! Beautiful! I'd love an impromtu trip like this...someone tell my mister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those impromptu trips often are the best ones! The south of France looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks so pretty. I've only ever been to Northern France but its on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the south of France :) we spent time in Nice and Cannes and I lived with a lady in Toulon. It's insanely beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow these photos are incredible. What kind of camera do you use and what editing system? So crisp and clean they look like paintings!


    I recognize Les Calanques! Incredible. I wish I had a car when visiting the south of France, it definitely seems much better to visit all of the beautiful places..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I have the Canon EOS 100d (the lowest grade and cheapest canon on the market) and I use Lightroom to adjust highlights and shadows and things l like that, but I never alter vibrancy and saturation. Two of the above photos are "filtered," (the more hazy ones), but other than that, it's just my personal touches on the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will definitely visit Nice, Cannes, Monaco eventually. I am eager to get back down there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only been to Paris and on this trip, so there is plenty more that I want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Give me his phone number and I will! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have the best things to say about Marseille, as we really didn't explore it AT ALL... It was mainly just a home-base for us while we were off in other places... I think Nice/Cote are probably MUCH nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks babe! South of France for liffffeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep. You win and I lose for being almost 30 and quoting it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Alexandra, I just wanted to say I'm in love with your photos!
    Love the light, love the colors, everything.

    I visited Nice and Cannes 3 years ago, they're really gorgeous....all southern France is!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Pictures! What a great place to explore. www.eatallovertheworld.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. that looks aaabsolutely stunning. amazing pictures!
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, gorgeous pictures! I haven't made it to Marseilles yet. We might be going to Nice for New Year though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always kick myself for not living the south of France when I lived in Paris. Your pictures are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Andrea! I will definitely be back to explore Nice and Cannes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Laura! I don't mind! I think the Canon 100d is a very good starter camera. There is no way that I would have spent the extra money on a nicer camera without ever having any experience with a DSLR. With that being said, I have had the camera for nine months now and I am currently looking at different lens and things like that to diversify my photography. I will eventually upgrade if I continue with blogging and photography, but that won't be for a long time. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for taking the time to reply your comment was very helpful Im 90% sure now I want the Canon 100d I better start saving! I think getting different lenses is a good way to change the look of your photographs :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So so stunning!! I want to go back!

    ReplyDelete

© TEAM STARNES. Design: Maira Gall.