WALKABOUT LONDON: SHOREDITCH

5 Feb 2014

Follow me on a Walkabout around Shoreditch! 

I read a blurb about Shoreditch from this book to find out the must-sees of the area before heading out. 

Who knows if I ventured into other areas outside of "Shoreditch," but I thought I did a fairly good job of not straying too far from Shoreditch High Street.
From Islington, Shoreditch is a quick 10-15 minute bus ride on the 205. I got out at Shoreditch High Street and just started walking around aimlessly.
Immediately, the first thing you notice when you step off the bus is the street art or graffiti, depending on what generation you're from. It definitely has an urban/trendy/hipster vibe. It's very young and unpretentious. I think it's great! People from New York equate it to Brooklyn; people from Charlotte would probably equate to Noda. 
It seems generally liberal, but that's to be expected. It's all part of the experience, y'all! Loosen up! The street art is AMAZING! These artists are so talented. It's awesome that these people are able to live or hang out in an area that allows them to exercise their freedom of expression. Very cool.
even as a tranny, he is still sooo handsome! :)
Like I said, this is a young, hip area, so all the passers-by were dressed-up in their trendy, hip clothes and make-up. This, my friends, was not lost on me.

Thank god I added that hot pink lipstick at the last minute!
In common London-fashion, Shoreditch has its fair share of beautiful buildings and architecture.
Shoreditch is not lacking in the restaurant and boutique department. Everywhere you look you find a packed coffee house, a trendy shop and tons of restaurants getting ready for the nightly crowds. 
Something unique to the area is the BOXPARK Pop-up Mall. It is just a bunch of old shipping containers lined up, one next to each other. They are used for pop-up shops for clothing, knick-knacks, shoes, music, etc... I'm pretty sure I saw a DJ hanging out in the back of one, just jamming and looking to start a dance party. It was cool and like nothing I had ever seen before.
I was almost ready to head back since my hands were frozen from taking so many pictures, but something caught my eye. I noticed that mischievous egg peeking its head out, high above the skyline. 

It's taunting me...
Why is it following me?
What does it want from me?
I am constantly being drawn to this building. So, once again, I set out to find it and get a better look.
I had NO IDEA the Gherkin building was so close! On my last walkabout, I really thought I was going on an adventure, and heading off course to try to find it, but it turns out, I was much closer to home than I knew!

Overall, Shoreditch is a very pleasant place to hangout or potentially live. I would like to learn more about this area. If you have any suggestions, please share them via a comment or twitter! xx
CLICK HERE! for more pictures from my Shoreditch walkabout.

No comments

Post a Comment

© TEAM STARNES. Design: Maira Gall.