WEEK FOUR

27 Oct 2013

Hey Y'all!

I'm excited to announce that we are officially up-to-date! Yayyy! I can finally write in the first person! From here on out, I am going to continue to write my weekly updates and if something "blog-worthy" happens in between, I'll let you know. Make sure to start at the bottom/beginning and I'll meet you back here in five... or whatever! :) 
r r r
Alright, so Week 4...
Monday and Tuesday were pretty low-key for us. James worked late in the office preparing for a big meeting and I've been working almost every day to get this blog up and running so there wasn't a lot going on.

Since we got TV and Internet, I have gotten really off a normal sleep cycle. I'm talking like going to bed at 3AM, waking up at noon, kinda stuff.  Well, I finally confessed to James about my night-time behavior so now I am working on going to bed and waking up at a reasonable hour. 

On Wednesday (my first day attempting at becoming human again), I decided to put the blog to rest and take the opportunity to go out and get some fresh air since it was a beautiful day in London. I walked up and down Upper Street and found a few lovely shops that I would to get to know better and I even stopped in to treat myself to a pint and some chips! I had made a decision to try to break-in these new flats that I had purchased in Charlotte and boy, was that a mistake. Luckily, I had thought ahead and packed an extra pair of ballerina flats just-in-case and I was able to avoid walking home barefoot.


James wanted to watch the Manchester United game so I met him at 'The Arc' for dinner. Nice pub, but they were having some technical difficulties that night so the fire alarm was constantly going off and their pizza oven had broken, so we might need to try it another time when shit isn't hitting the fan.

I successfully went to bed with James and woke up the next morning with James (you should be impressed, that's super early!). I was feeling refreshed and energized. With another beautiful day ahead of me I decided to make the most of it. I got ready and met James for lunch in St. Paul's and then headed out to explore West London.* 

I didn't have a plan or even a map for that matter, I was just winging it.  I took the tube to Notting Hill Gate and got out and started walking. I walked around Notting Hill meandering around Portobello Market. I walked to Kensington and strolled through Hyde Park and down Kensington High Street. I walked down to Chelsea and saw their amazing real estate (no wonder this is the Royal Borough!). In Chelsea, I walked around Kings Street and Fulham Road... it was nice to see some of the pub and restaurants that I've seen on TV here. 


I will definitely have to come back to these places with more of a plan because I know I missed so much since I was just walking in straight lines everywhere... I'm sure that one street over there was an amazing view or a boutique that I would die for, but we will have to save that for another day.

By the time that I got home, I was so beat, I could hardly stand up. I definitely over did it, but at least I was on track to wear myself out and continue on my goal to get back on a normal sleep cycle. It's amazing what you can do with an extra 5 hours to your day! Needless to say, James and I were out cold early that night!

Friday was just like our other Fridays; clean up the flat and wait for James to get home so we can spend some time together. James made a reservation at a restaurant in our area called, 'The Elk in the Woods.' It was wonderful! Cozy, yet cool atmosphere and great food--- we definitely want to take some friends here! After dinner, like clockwork, we ventured out for our night cap and continued catching up on the weeks' events. 

It was almost closing time so I headed to the restroom, when I got back, James was having some light conversation with the bouncer. I stood with him as he finished up the story and as we were about to leave, James introduced me as his wife and I reached out to shake his hand... SIDE-NOTE: I have always been praised for my sturdy handshake. It's one of the things that I always get compliments (from men) on when meeting new people. Well, this bouncer turns to James with a very surprised look on his face and says, "Your woman has quite a grip!" It's a random story, I know, but how funny is that?! I was kind of embarrassed, but honestly there is nothing attractive about a limp-wrist handshake!

James and I got home and we must have been feeling jazzed because we stayed up until 4:30AM talking to James' parents and FaceTiming with our good friends Jesse and Erika. It was so nice catching up on what's been going on with Winston and finding out about what's been going on in Charlotte. The late night was definitely worth the lazy Saturday that followed.

Saturday as promised, was lazy. Lunch, coffee, TV/Netflix (Grey's Anatomy: The Early Years-- so good!), dinner (Indian restaurant; 'Praveen') and more TV. 

...and here we are on SUNDAY! This week has been nice in the fact that we are both falling into our routines and I am starting to utilize my time properly. I can't believe that we have been here for one month already! It's going by so quickly; I only have 11 more months in this amazing city... I am determined to make the most out of my time here and see everything that I can. I think I am going to get a checklist of London Must-See's and check one off everyday...

A few updates! 
#1: We have a tenant moving into the Charlotte house on November 1. We are pleased that this process has gone smoothly and we hope that everything continues to stay on track with the property.
#2: We received this picture from James' parents of Winston from their Halloween Party this year... How cute is my little Hot Dog! xoxo
Halloween 2013

*I've been doing some research about the sub-regions/ Burroughs of London and apparently they are constantly changing, so I might not be using the correct terms. Just bear with me!

3 comments

  1. Allie,
    I know this blog must be very time consuming. Thank you so much for doing it. Please tell James how much we are enjoying it.
    btw, note to self; I would like to go to "The Elk in the Woods".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Please keep this up. As an ex-Londoner living in Los Angeles, I am enthralled with your adventures in my old home town as I can see you guys are relishing every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We are loving it here! xo

      Delete

© TEAM STARNES. Design: Maira Gall.